Opportunity cost and economics profit (loss)

• Thread starter Jonicute
  • Ngày gửi
Jonicute

Jonicute

21/3/08
Hanoi
Dear Nhung,

I am reading Study Session 5 about the Perfect Competition. At the beginning of reading this session i get hit by terminology "economics loss" and "economics profit". I used Google search engine to find out what they means then the definition appears in the blue italics as following:

The difference between the revenue received from the sale of an output and the opportunity cost of the inputs used. This can be used as another name for "economic value added" (EVA).

Don't confuse this with 'accounting profit', which is what most people generally mean when they refer to profit.

In calculating economic profit, opportunity costs are deducted from revenues earned. Opportunity costs are the alternative returns foregone by using the chosen inputs. As a result, you can have a significant accounting profit with little to no economic profit.

For example, say you invest $100,000 to start a business, and in that year you earn $120,000 in profits. Your accounting profit would be $20,000. However, say that same year you could have earned an income of $45,000 had you been employed. Therefore, you have an economic loss of $25,000 (120,000 - 100,000 - 45,000).

As definition above I knew what economics profit is and how it is computered. However, the problem i don't understand that why in the perfect competition market the firm maximize its economics profit only when MR=MC=P. I don't understand why they called the rectangle part at the following graph "economics profit"?

Do you understand my mean? And do you know why for my answers? Please help!

121.PNG

PS: I suggest you should visit website http://www.investopedia.com/ for all financial terminology if you want. I think this website good then recommend you. :two:

Sửa lần cuối:
Khóa học Quản trị dòng tiền
T

trhongnhung

just have a close look at the graph, the rectangular part matches with the part where :
- MR > MC
- and Price > revenue
(condition to make an economic profit --> eg its definition)

"firm maximize its economics profit only when MR=MC=P" --> this happen ONLY in equilibrium market. Actually no firm will earn economic profit, the maximum economic profit equal to zero

(I know that website and drop in there sometime too ^^)

Jonicute

Jonicute

21/3/08
Hanoi
just have a close look at the graph, the rectangular part matches with the part where :
- MR > MC
- and Price > revenue
(condition to make an economic profit --> eg its definition)

"firm maximize its economics profit only when MR=MC=P" --> this happen ONLY in equilibrium market. Actually no firm will earn economic profit, the maximum economic profit equal to zero

(I know that website and drop in there sometime too ^^)

NO! Nhung! You don't understand what i meant. I just want to access the problem of economics profit from the original definition of it. The reason why i show you its definition in blue. It is said that the economics profit is equal to revenue minus opportunity cost. So, i want to understand it in this relationship not its conditions of MC, MR and market price in perfect market that book force us to accept. I would like you to explain it in the relation with opportunity cost as well.

Sửa lần cuối:
T

trhongnhung

ok I see what you mean now

Let's go back to the example above " say you invest $100,000 to start a business, and in that year you earn $120,000 in profits. Your accounting profit would be $20,000. However, say that same year you could have earned an income of $45,000 had you been employed. Therefore, you have an economic loss of $25,000 (120,000 - 100,000 - 45,000)."Here the opportunity cost is the cost of your choices to building yourself a business instead of being employed (it's given by the difference between 2 revenues according to 2 choices)
So the economic profit is not a single gain you can get by doing sth but it have to be compared with the gain if you do something else.
I have seen before that you work in stock exchange. So if you're investor, you won't simply choose a stock that would make profit but the one that would make the BEST profit (it's usually called economic value added, a method to evaluate a stock (but also a project or whatever you want), by the way it's the profit minus required return (so i deduct that the required return could be considered as the opportunity cost because it take into account a market premium)...

I dunno it's clear enough for you or not... but take it easy and i think that it would be clearer when you go ahead and then come back for second reading

And buzz me in YM if you're still stuck with this. I'm not expert in economic but can always discuss with you to find out the answer

Sửa lần cuối:
Jonicute

Jonicute

21/3/08
Hanoi
ok I see what you mean now

Let's go back to the example above " say you invest $100,000 to start a business, and in that year you earn $120,000 in profits. Your accounting profit would be $20,000. However, say that same year you could have earned an income of $45,000 had you been employed. Therefore, you have an economic loss of $25,000 (120,000 - 100,000 - 45,000)."Here the opportunity cost is the cost of your choices to building yourself a business instead of being employed (it's given by the difference between 2 revenues according to 2 choices)
So the economic profit is not a single gain you can get by doing sth but it have to be compared with the gain if you do something else.
I have seen before that you work in stock exchange. So if you're investor, you won't simply choose a stock that would make profit but the one that would make the BEST profit (it's usually called economic value added, a method to evaluate a stock (but also a project or whatever you want), by the way it's the profit minus required return (so i deduct that the required return could be considered as the opportunity cost because it take into account a market premium)...

I dunno it's clear enough for you or not... but take it easy and i think that it would be clearer when you go ahead and then come back for second reading

And buzz me in YM if you're still stuck with this. I'm not expert in economic but can always discuss with you to find out the answer

:deal: I am clearer with your example but you still don't understand my confuse. I will try to solve by myself or if it continues get stuck i will use Vietnamese :wall:

L

Lan-Giao

8/6/04
HCMC
Nhìn vào hình cũng thấy mà.

Nếu MR>MC => price nằm giữa gốc tọa độ & P và quantity nằm giữa gốc tọa độ & Q => sản xuất thêm 1 đơn vị sp thì sẽ tạo ra revenue nhiều hơn chi phí sản xuất => càng sản xuất thêm đơn vị sp thì lãi của đơn vị sp đó càng nhiều => economic profit tăng nếu sản lượng tăng => price càng tiến về P hay quantity càng tiến về Q thì economic profit càng cao.

Nếu MR<MC => price nằm từ P đến +00 và quantity nằm giữa từ Q đến +00 => sản xuất thêm 1 đơn vị sp thì sẽ tạo ít revenue hơn chi phí sản xuất => càng sản xuất thêm đơn vị sp thì đơn vị sp đó càng lỗ => economic profit tăng nếu sản lượng giảm => price càng tiến về P hay quantity càng tiến về Q thì economic profit càng cao.

=>Economic profit is maximised when MC = MR

Còn cái hình chữ nhật mà bạn không hiểu tại sao nó là economic benefit thì là vầy.

Total revenue = P*Q = dien tich hình chữ nhật với các đỉnh là P, gốc tọa độ, Q & giao điểm của MC & MR.

Total cost = ATC*Q = diện tích hình chữ nhật với các đỉnh là giao điểm của ATC với cái đường ...., hình chiếu của nó lên trục price, Q (hình chiếu của nó lên trục quantity), và gốc toạ độ.

Cái hình chữ nhật biểu thị economic profit = Total revenue - total cost

Về mặt đạo hàm thì total revenue - total cost max khi đạo hàm của nó = 0 => delta(revenue)=delta(cost) => MR=MC. Mình nhớ lõm bõm vậy á.

Sửa lần cuối:
Jonicute

Jonicute

21/3/08
Hanoi
Nhìn vào hình cũng thấy mà.

Nếu MR>MC => price nằm giữa gốc tọa độ & P và quantity nằm giữa gốc tọa độ & Q => sản xuất thêm 1 đơn vị sp thì sẽ tạo ra revenue nhiều hơn chi phí sản xuất => càng sản xuất thêm đơn vị sp thì lãi của đơn vị sp đó càng nhiều => economic profit tăng nếu sản lượng tăng => price càng tiến về P hay quantity càng tiến về Q thì economic profit càng cao.

Nếu MR<MC => price nằm từ P đến +00 và quantity nằm giữa từ Q đến +00 => sản xuất thêm 1 đơn vị sp thì sẽ tạo ít revenue hơn chi phí sản xuất => càng sản xuất thêm đơn vị sp thì đơn vị sp đó càng lỗ => economic profit tăng nếu sản lượng giảm => price càng tiến về P hay quantity càng tiến về Q thì economic profit càng cao.

=>Economic profit is maximised when MC = MR

Còn cái hình chữ nhật mà bạn không hiểu tại sao nó là economic benefit thì là vầy.

Total revenue = P*Q = dien tich hình chữ nhật với các đỉnh là P, gốc tọa độ, Q & giao điểm của MC & MR.

Total cost = ATC*Q = diện tích hình chữ nhật với các đỉnh là giao điểm của ATC với cái đường ...., hình chiếu của nó lên trục price, Q (hình chiếu của nó lên trục quantity), và gốc toạ độ.

Cái hình chữ nhật biểu thị economic profit = Total revenue - total cost

Về mặt đạo hàm thì total revenue - total cost max khi đạo hàm của nó = 0 => delta(revenue)=delta(cost) => MR=MC. Mình nhớ lõm bõm vậy á.

Ko ko! Cậu giống Nhung- hiểu nhầm ý tớ! Điều tớ thắc mắc là tại sao người ta thống kê và đưa ra đc cái hình với các vị trí MC, MR, ATC, AP, AVC....như vậy. Đừng dựa vào hình giải thích vì đó chỉ là toán hình học thôi! Mình thắc mắc tại sao có cái hình đó với các vị trí "đẹp đẽ" như thế mà ko phải là các vị trí khác!

L

Lan-Giao

8/6/04
HCMC
À, vậy thì đơn giản là người ta chỉ vẽ đựa theo mối liên quan của MC, MR, ATC... theo quantity => Cái này đơn thuần là đại số chứ không phải là thống kê gì cả. Bạn biết vẽ hàm số, biết về đạo hàm bậc 1, bậc 2... thì bạn cũng vẽ ra vậy mà. Giải thích rõ ràng từng đường thì phức tạp & ngoài khả năng của mình, công thức tính đạo hàm không còn nhớ nổi nữa, chỉ có thể giải thích cho bạn cái đường đơn giản nhất là MR, hay nói cách khác là đường đạo hàm bậc 1 của total revenue theo quantity. Mà total revenue = P*Q => đạo hàm bậc 1 của nó theo quantity = P => MR là 1 đường nằm ngang cắt trục price tại điểm P.

Sửa lần cuối:
J

jupiter276

1/11/06
Thái Bình
À, vậy thì đơn giản là người ta chỉ vẽ đựa theo mối liên quan của MC, MR, ATC... theo quantity => Cái này đơn thuần là đại số chứ không phải là thống kê gì cả. Bạn biết vẽ hàm số, biết về đạo hàm bậc 1, bậc 2... thì bạn cũng vẽ ra vậy mà. Giải thích rõ ràng từng đường thì phức tạp & ngoài khả năng của mình, công thức tính đạo hàm không còn nhớ nổi nữa, chỉ có thể giải thích cho bạn cái đường đơn giản nhất là MR, hay nói cách khác là đường đạo hàm bậc 1 của total revenue theo quantity. Mà total revenue = P*Q => đạo hàm bậc 1 của nó theo quantity = P => MR là 1 đường nằm ngang cắt trục price tại điểm P.

Về đường MR:
Không phải lúc nào MR cũng bằng P như bác nói. Đó chỉ là trường hợp đặc biệt thôi.
Doanh thu biên (MR) là phần doanh thu tăng thêm do sản xuất và tiêu thụ thêm một đơn vị sản phẩm. Do vậy:
mr.png

Hay viết cách khác:
mr1.png

Ko ko! Cậu giống Nhung- hiểu nhầm ý tớ! Điều tớ thắc mắc là tại sao người ta thống kê và đưa ra đc cái hình với các vị trí MC, MR, ATC, AP, AVC....như vậy. Đừng dựa vào hình giải thích vì đó chỉ là toán hình học thôi! Mình thắc mắc tại sao có cái hình đó với các vị trí "đẹp đẽ" như thế mà ko phải là các vị trí khác!

Về sự "đẹp đẽ" của từng đường:
Trong thực tế, không phải các đường nét được "trơn tru, đẹp đẽ" như vậy. Người ta chỉ đơn giản nó đi, từ các bảng số liệu kiểm chứng và các lý thuyết về quan hệ cung-cầu.
Em ví dụ đường MC (bắt đầu cao lên, rồi hạ xuống, rồi lại tăng lên).
Vấn đề này phụ thuộc vào kỹ thuật sản xuất của hãng đó. KHi sản lượng tăng lên thì máy móc tinh vi hơn có thể được sử dụng, làm thêm ra các sản phẩm khá rẻ, một phần cũng nhờ lợi thế về quy mô nữa. Dây chuyền sản xuất tự động làm ra thêm các sản phẩm rẻ, nhưng cực kỳ đắt khi sản lượng ít. KHi sản lượng tăng hơn nữa thì khó khăn của việc quản lý hãng lớn bắt đầu nảy sinh, cần có thêm nhân viên văn phòng, phân phối, quản lý chất lượng...(những người không trực tiếp sản xuất ra sản phẩm), khi đó sản lượng tăng lại làm cho tốn kém và chi phí biên trở nên cao hơn.
Ở một trường hợp khác, thậm chí ta còn thấy hình MC có dạng hypebol, tức là giảm dần từ trên xuống, và dần tiến về một mức xác định, rồi cứ kéo dài mãi như thế.

Nếu anh/chị nhắc tới "đẹp đẽ" ở đây là về mặt giao điểm các đường thì như bác Lan-Giao cũng có giải thích qua (về nguyên lý tối đa hóa lợi nhuận của DN), ta dễ dàng chứng minh được.

Một vài đóng góp ý kiến của em. Có gì sai sót, các bác nhắc nhở ạ.

Xem nhiều

Webketoan Zalo OA